Friday 30 May 2014

An unofficial anniversary!

I can't actually remember what day it was (hopeless. I am), but I just feel like celebrating today, so I think it's about a year since I delivered the art piece I made for Manor House Wildlife Park in Tenby as part of their South-East Asia palm oil campaign. 

And a bit later I made some info boards for them too. This totally utterly sounds like I am blowing my own trumpet to be heard over the other side of the world, but that's not actually the point, I promise. 

My point is, it is so easy to forget once the event is over that the reason for it still continues.
So please, let us not forget that the destruction continues. That palm oil is NOT ok. That it's in everything pretty much and it's still doing damage. That all the companies which use it are harping on about how it's sustainable and indispensable and lovely and it's all lies. 

Meanwhile, orang-utans are dying everyday because of it, and unlike humans (which are their closest relatives, FYI) there isn't 7 billion of them and they don't make up their numbers as fast as we reproduce blood cells. 

And not just orang-utans. It's Tigers and Tapirs and millions of other undiscovered species, including a massive plethora of plants and bugs and fabulous things, including potentially life saving medicines. Lost. Not to mention the fact that without the rain forests, we WILL DIE. And that's really not a joke, I am deadly serious. If you want to know why, look it up, it's true. 

In other words, we may have won a small battle, but the war goes on. 

And a tribute to all the lives lost from palm oil devastation.

Yes, that is Anna Ryder-Richardson on the right and yes she is amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If nobody else has commented, don't be put off. It's all about being a rebel : D